Friday, August 28, 2015

Deep Wellsprings Of Compassion

Yesterday, I read this:
"A man whose wife passed away after she had suffered a debilitating
illness for several years told me,
 "I thought I knew what love was-we'd had over
50 blessed years together.  
But only in trying to care for her in these last few years
did I discover what love really is."
By sharing in his wife's afflictions, 
this man discovered deep wellsprings of
compassion in his heart that a hireling will never know."
After I read that snippet from the article, I felt my heart explode.  
I have so much love and gratitude for my husband, Christian.  
Most of you know him as Mr. Nielson.
 I thought about the many, many long days he sat by my bedside patiently
waiting for me to wake up from the long coma I was in.  
I thought about the sleepless nights 
he must have endured worried about me and our family.
 I thought about the many meals he prepared and spoon-fed 
to me when my hands were bandaged up.
 I thought about the many trips he took me to the bathroom, 
zipped up my clothes, buttoned my shirts,
 slathered medicine on my burns and sores, 
and bathed me very carefully, trying to be as gentle as possible
because for me, bath time was the worst.
He used to have to set a timer to remind himself to give me my pain medicines,
 antibiotics, blood thinners, anti-depressants, sleep
 medicine and probably a million other medications.  
But he always remembered and always always did it with a smile on his face.
I'll never forget his excitement when I started walking again. 
And when it still hurt to touch, he would kiss the back of my neck 
as a gentle reminder of his love and dedication for me.
But what I appreciated the most was how he made me feel.
 He made me feel safe in a world that felt like it was against me. 
He made me feel normal, beautiful, and loved.
He has served me in ways that most will never know, 
and believe me, I recognize how much of a gift it is that we have love on that level.

I have also felt this connection with others in my life since the 
accident, and I hope you feel it in your life, too.
It may not always involve a spouse, but it could be with a child,
 parent, neighbor, or even a stranger. 
These meaningful connections change us and contribute
 to our growth and development as compassionate people.
Through them, we gain a glimpse of the 
love that God has for us.

Thank you, Christian.



Happy weekend!
For the full, beautiful article from the above quote,
 and your weekly spiritual enlightenment, go HERE.
Bookmark and Share