Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve The HYGGE Way

Can you believe it's Christmas EVE!?
I always feel bittersweet on December 24th because, 
sadly, Christmas is almost over.
I love this time of year so much. I love celebrating and honoring 
the miracle and birth of Jesus Christ.  
I love the lights, the sounds, the smells, and the music.  
I love the cozy family time and the weather.  
We told the Little Nies that this year, we were going to incorporate
more Hygge (pronounced hue-gah) into our holiday season.
If you have yet to hear of Hygge, it is a Danish word for a feeling or 
mood that comes from taking genuine pleasure in making 
ordinary, everyday, simple things extraordinary. For example, each evening 
I light candles all over the house for no reason, just because it's cozy.
If we are watching TV, I light candles around the TV. 
 Of course, candles are lit on our dining room table,
and a candle burns while I prepare food in the kitchen.
For some reason, it makes everything cozier.
 
Words like coziness, security, familiarity, comfort, reassurance, 
fellowship, simpleness, and living well are often used to describe the idea of Hygge.
 
Yesterday, we began our Star Wars marathon and
 I made sure it was extra cozy and comfortable.
 It was cold and dark outside, which added to the vibe.
Mr. Nielson brought extra mattresses upstairs from the basement. 
We placed them in the living room in front of the big windows
 and the TV.  I added some cozy flannel sheets, feather-down comforters,
and plenty of fluffy pillows to make it very "Hyggelit" (Hygge-like).

I love what Danish Alex Beauchamp said about Hygge:
"The Danes see both the domestic and personal life as an 
art form and not every drudgery to get away from. 
Hygge is about being present and recognizing (and enjoying) the moment."
We started with the first Star Wars and watched the next three. 
After Episode 1, we stopped for sandwiches, and after Episode 2
I had warm chocolate chip cookies ready, and then we took a break to deliver
our neighborhood Christmas cards and yule.
  Episode 3 finished around 11:30.
We will finish the rest today and tonight, then  
 see the newest and most recent Star Wars in the theater.

Merry Christmas Eve to you!

* * * * *
Matthew 2:11
And when they had opened their treasures, 
they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.


Bookmark and Share